This week I’m doing something completely different. I’m not a chef, nor do I even claim to be a food blogger, but I have to share this recipe with you! It’s an extremely healthy, easy-to-make, customizable vegetable soup recipe. And I gotta tell you a secret: my toddler loves this soup! No really – I even have photos to prove it!
I make a batch almost every week, store it in individual servings, and eat it for lunch on a near-daily basis. I feel like it is a perfect balance in the crazy world of a stay-at-home mom. Oh, and another secret just for the hell of it: it’s ZERO Weight Watchers points, too!
This recipe is what I consider a “double batch” – feel free to half down the ingredients, or change the veggies at your leisure! Just remember #notafoodblogger so be merciful.
- 2 TB olive oil
- Yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 5 ounces chopped or shredded carrots
- 1 48-ounce carton beef broth, fat free, reduced sodium
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, no salt added
- Oregano (about 1 tsp)
- Parsley flakes (about 1 tsp)
- Basil (about 1 tsp dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper)
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- Optional: bell peppers, broccoli, celery, etc.
- Remember that if a young toddler is eating this soup to chop everything smaller than normal.
- Saute the onion, garlic, and carrots in about 2T of olive oil.
- Once carrots are soft and onion is translucent, add the chopped cabbage, canned tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, and seasonings to taste. Mix well. I like to partially cover the pot so that the veggies on top will be cooking too.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 min until cabbage is bright green and softens. (Don’t let these veggies get cooked to the “doneness” that you like quite yet, you still have more to do!)
- Add zucchini, stir again, and cook on medium heat (not quite simmering) until veggies are the tenderness that you like!
I package this in individual servings and it lasts me all week! Best of all, it’s 0SP (that’s right, zero smarties) and my kids love it!
Let me know what you think!
This recipe is adapted from the Super Healthy Cabbage Recipe here.
And here’s your photo proof! My daughter always “steals” some of my soup with her lunch because she wants it as soon as she sees me with it! If you want to see all the gear that I recommend for toddlers’ mealtime (including this bib!), check out my super popular post here!